Friday, January 08, 2010

Aiden

They're talking about me now. I knew that they would. I let the teacher use me for this class. They were supposed to make up a personality for an imaginary perosn named "Aiden". None but the teacher knew that I was actually a real person--well, had been a real person at one point.

I'm invisible. And I don't mean figuratively invisible, although that had been true enough when I lived. I was average in weight, height, and everything else. I had regular brown eyes and hair. I was just about as common-looking as you could get--not exactly special. I was the person in high school you knew, but didn't ever really notice.

The only person that did notice me was my killer. He was a lot like me, actually--average-looking, unnoticeable, a nobody--but I apparently caught his attention. And trust me, it was not good attention. He told me--just before he killed me--that I reminded him of the girlfriend that had left him for another man. He wanted to kill her, but obviously didn't have the guts to do it. I was a substitute.

I went down fighting, of course. I had been raised as a Christian to love everyone and be kind to everyone, but that didn't mean I was just going to sit around and have him kill me! When I was living, I was a fighter. Not defending myself just wasn't in my nature! I wasn't very muscular though, so he overpowered me fairly easily. He knocked me out, and that was the last thing I remembered--at least, while I was a live.

So, when the teacher of this class asked me to help him, I obliged for two reasons. I wanted to help the man out, and in doing this, I could also haunt my killer. I've been haunting him since I became a ghost. He's in this room. I'm watching him right now, waiting for him to realize my presence. Most people don't believe in ghosts until they see or feel them. Even then, they attribute their experience to imagination. I, however, seem to have a knack for haunting people enough to either drive them mad or having them believe.

He'll notice me.

Eventually.

Until he does, I'll wait.

Forever.

8 comments:

Reogan said...

I'm so proud of you! You've advanced from writing a column that almost seemed about bettering yourself to writing a story about vengeful undead! As I understand is tradition when one transcends a level, I say to you 'gratz.'

Elphaba said...

Thank you, Reogan! That makes me feel good.

Can I do more stuff like this (writing things in general, not necessarily about undead people), instead of the column thing? Because it's WAY easier...

Qupar said...

no offense, but most columns i've read aren't even fun to read, not saying your writing in the columns was bad, but i don't like reading columns, I think it would be better if she did this instead

Elphaba said...

That's all the feedback I need! Whoo!

Reogan said...

It's your day. All I need to say is: I told you so :p

Elphaba said...

Told me so about what?

Reogan said...

Stories = win.

Elphaba said...

I never disagreed with that, did I? If I said that, I didn't mean it.