Saturday, June 19, 2010

Song of the Week 13.5: 'Enable-Disable Bipolar Disorder' by wauterboi

I'm back for a bit to post a song of the week. This one is of the .5 additions because it's not from OCR. As soon as I heard this track I knew I had to do something with it. As you can see, once again I'm using Protagonist Records music. Personally I think Protagonist is probably one of the best record labels I've come upon. It's introduced me to several excellent artists that would've taken me some time to find if I was just using OCR as my musical frame of reference. This track happens to be from wauterboi and it's straight off of his new album, if then. The actual track (titled Enable-Disable Bipolar Disorder) drew my attention immediately while I was listening to the entire album. There's a good chance I'll be buying this one soon. While wauterboi isn't the sort of usual "refined" synth feel that I often listen to the way he employs his arranging skills with the sounds he uses are impressive. To quote SGX, "Slow groove, big distorted synth, moody melody, some lofi synths, and a bit of NIN style." SGX knows way more about music than I do, but I also have to mention the beats. I absolutely dig how the primary beat works in with the background. In fact, this reminds me quite a bit of Little People in some ways. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I had to do something with this track. This one definitely has a good chance of making it into my movie. This isn't a huge movie project or anything and there's no budget; it's essentially a live action FPS borrowing from several soundtracks and game ideas. Anyway, wauterboi has really impressed me with this album release. I highly recommend you check it out. The first track is _, then Birth, and the last track is Death, so I imagine wauterboi had a theme in mind when writing this. Reogan and I used a similar sort of idea when working on one of our own projects (although we focused on the more human viewpoint whereas wauterboi might be going for the machine thing as per the cover art) and I find it interesting to see how each person interprets life from a musical standpoint. That's about all I have for you today. You can download the track here, enjoy.

No comments: