Friday, March 12, 2010

Consequences, Part 2

John left to go to Algebra II, and Christina strolled down the hallway towards Physics. They both smiled to themselves as they kept thinking about each other.

After school, Christina was called into the office. Mrs. White, the elderly secretary, smiled. "You have a telephone call, dear."

"Do you know who it is?"

"No, he didn't give his name."

Christina frowned in confusion, then shrugged and went in the back to pick up the phone. "Hello?"

"Be very careful to do what I say, when I say it," a rasping, grating voice commanded. "Do not speak until I tell you. If you break these two fundamental rules, your precious John," the man sneered, "will never see the light of day again. Say 'yes' if you understand."

Christina gulped. "Y-yes," she stammered in fear.

"Good. Give me your cell phone number."

She wracked her panicking brain for a moment. "555-8376," she whispered, tears choking her vocal cords.

"Please improve your performance, Christina. We wouldn't want to scare poor Mrs. White, now would we? Say 'yes' if you agree."

How does he know my name? Or where I am? "Yes."

"Good. I will call you in a moment. Now, just to ensure your cooperation..." he trailed off menacingly. "Would you like to speak with John? Answer yes or no."

"Yes!" Christina gasped. She struggled to keep her composure so as not to frighten the poor secretary just a few feet away.

"Christina?" John's voice came, but it was slurred and confused-sounding.

"Yes, yes, I'm here," Christina soothed.

"Christina..."

A rustling noise came in the background. "Go home." It was John's captor again. "I will call you in five minutes. If you do not answer..." the man chuckled in a sinister tone, "Well, we both know what will happen, don't we? Answer yes or no."

"Yes," Christina whispered again.

"Good. I look forward to speaking with you again." A click sounded. Christina stood at the phone, the dial tone not registering.

2 comments:

Reogan said...

The telephone number didn't work when I tried it. She lies!

Elphaba said...

No constructive criticism, just a comment about the phone number? Thanks a lot...